Pre-Kindergarten Eligibility Criteria
Please note: Entry into our PreKindergarten program is contingent upon the criteria below. In order to give an idea as to your eligibility regarding an economically disadvantaged status, please see the Federal income requirements.
TEXAS EDUCATION CODE
CHAPTER 29 ~ SUBCHAPTER E
Sec. 29.153. Free Prekindergarten for Certain Children
A child is eligible for enrollment in a prekindergarten class under this
section if the child is at least three years of age and:
(1) is a homeless child, as defined by 42 U.S.C. Section 11434a, regardless of the residence of the child, of either parent of the child, or of the child's guardian or other person having lawful control of the child;
(2) is the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority;
(3) is the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty;
(4) is or ever has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code.
(5) is economically disadvantaged, as per the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines for Free and Reduced-Price Meals;
(6) is unable to speak and comprehend the English language.
Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals if your household income falls within the limits on this chart.